SCOUT HALL

 

 

 

 

The Evansburg Scout Hall, built in 1931, has a long and eventful history both prior to and after its construction. Used as a fundraiser building, meeting space, the Pembina-Lobstick Historical Society museum and of course, a place for the various scout groups, the Scout Hall is fondly remembered by the people of Evansburg. The Hall owes thanks to the Styal Hall and various empty classrooms for hosting discussions and fundraisers for its construction. As well, the group leaders, fundraising groups, and other miscellaneous people deserve credit for their hard work and dedication to our lovely little building. 

[image: the Boy Scouts, late 1930s]

Before The Beginning…

Around 1917, Evansburg formed a Boy Scout troop, led by Mr. Con O’Daly of the Entwistle School. Scouts in these early days learned knot-tying, first aid skills, and how to correctly fly the Union Jack– Canada’s official flag before 1965. They frequently went on camping trips, learning to pitch tents, improvise beds out of pine boughs, and start campfires. This first group dissolved in 1919, when O’Daly left the area. 

 

Around 1930, the Boy Scouts were resurrected by Mr. Tom Baker, a teacher in Entwistle. In 1931 the Evansburg Girl Guides and Brownie packs were organized and led by Mrs. J. M. Mitchell and Annie Greaves. The group was divided into small sections, or  “Patrols,” with Girl Guides taking on leadership positions. The Brownie pack focused on survival and housekeeping skills, alongside Brownie games, badge-earning tasks, and nature hikes. This era of scouts was instrumental in fundraising for the Scout Hall.

 

During the start of the Depression, money was scarce in all parts of the country, and the lumber for the Scout Hall was bought on credit from the M.D. Muttart Building Supply Co. in Edmonton.

Context:

The Scouting movement began in the United Kingdom in 1907 as a program for boys aged 11-18 by Robert Baden-Powell. In 1910, the Girl Guides were started by Baden-Powell’s sister, Agnes. 

When the first Scout Jamboree was held in 1920, an estimated 8000 scouts from 34 different nations attended, a testament to the rapid growth of the movement. Today, the Scouts have over 57 million volunteers, members, contributors, and other involved people. 

Scout Service

The Scout Hall was finally completed in 1931. In 1932, Gladys Schroder (Stephens) took over leadership of the Brownies, with Gladys Smith (and later Thelma Mitchell) now leading the Girl Guides. Previously established were the Wolf Cubs, led by Bob Gillard. These groups declined after the closure of the Evansburg mine in 1936, and eventually disbanded.

 

Scout groups were re-established around 1950. The First Evansburg Brownie Pack was led by Anna Wade and assisted by Alice Campbell. A few years later, the First Evansburg Girl Guide Company was established with Mary Cumming as leader and Stella Lorenz as assistant. During these years, the Brownies and Girl Guides were re-established four times, as leaders continuously resigned.  Both groups discontinued in the 1960s, and would have been the last groups to use the Scout Hall.   

 

In 1969, the Kinette Club of Evansburg called for the creation of a scout group, and the project was taken on by Bev Jukosky and Donna Mae Mitchell. They registered at Girl Guide headquarters in December 1969 as the First Evansburg Brownie Company, despite technically being the second. This group held meetings in various rooms at Evansview School.

 

In 1973, the Evansburg Brownies joined the 1st Entwistle (Royal Purple) Company of Girl Guides. In 1982, the name was changed to the 1st Pembina Scouts, to include girls from both  towns. By 1985, a Girl Guides group was established by Irene McDougall, with Brownies being reorganized under Sherry Allen. Wolf Cubs and Beaver Scouts were also active at this time.

 

The Scouts groups continued on after this point.  

Fundraising 

The Scout Hall was frequently used by groups for fundraising purposes. 

 

Throughout the Second World War, the Evansburg Red Cross used the Scout Hall as a meeting and fundraising space. They hosted bingos in the hall on Saturday nights, with cards priced at ten cents and prizes donated by local merchants.

 

In February of 1949, the Ladies Auxiliary to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #196 formed when eighteen future members met at the Scout Hall. Like the Red Cross, the Ladies Auxiliary used the hall to host bingos, teas, and other fundraisers.  

 

the scout hall today

Throughout the 1970s and ‘80s, the Scout Hall was used as the main museum building for the Pembina Lobstick Historical Society. It has had at least three different locations around Evansburg in its lifetime. Originally built near the south end of the current court house, it was moved in later years near the north side of the Evansburg Legion Hall.  In 1994, after suffering from a lack of maintenance, the building was renovated to serve as a museum and moved to a historical site in northeast Evansburg. In June of 1996, the Scout Hall was moved to its present site at Tipple Park Museum. 

[Image: the Scout Hall as the Pembina Lobstick Historical Society Museum]